Search & Win

Monday, February 20, 2012

The Snow Family - Mark Snow

Mark Snow was born in 1764 in Virginia. Mark married Elizabeth Tarrant in Virginia. She was born in 1762 to Benjamin Tarrant and Martha Dalton. By 1789, Mark Snow and his family moved to South Carolina, presumably around the Greenville area. In November of that same year, Mark purchased land in Georgia from a Reuben Bennett. I would really like to know which county so I can find the deed for this transaction. In 1809, Mark was living in Jackson County, Georgia where is is recorded on the Tax Digest for the county. By 1820, Mark had moved to Gwinnett County, Georgia where he is recorded in the 1820 and 1830 census records. According to research done by one descendant, Mark Snow was the Justice of the Peace in Gwinnett County for a time. I would love to see the documents that prove this. I have transcripts of Jury records from 1821, 1823 and 1824 that lists Mark Snow as serving on a Jury in Gwinnett County during those years. I have no proof of the names of the children of Mark and Elizabeth. The children I have listed are: Polly, Fountain, Mildred, Thomas, Martha, George Washington, Elizabeth and Sarah.

Polly was born in 1783 and married Samuel B. McClure.

Fountain was born in 1785. I do not know much on Fountain. He is on the 1809 Tax Digest with his father. I found a census record from 1850 in Saline Co. AR that lists a Fountain Snow age 69 born in Virginia. Is this Fountain?

Mildred was born in 1788. She married Valentine Harlan in 1809 in Jackson County, Georgia. They had the following children: Martha, Aaron, Julia, George, Joshua, Elizabeth, Joseph, Isaiah Hollingsworth and Jane.

Thomas was born in 1793. I will discuss his line further in my next post since he is my ancestor.

Martha was born in 1798. I do not have anything further on her.

George Washington was born in 1801. He married Narcissa Webb. They had the following children: Benjamin Franklin, Wyatt M., Sarah, Marion A., Harvey Newton, Elizabeth, Angeline, Lydia, George W. and Sarah Catherine. George and his family moved from Carroll County, Georgia where they were living in 1830 to Cobb County, Georgia by 1850. Later, they moved to Dale County, Alabama where the couple presumably died sometime after the 1870 census.

Elizabeth was born in 1804. She married James Harlin. James and Valentine, who married Elizabeth's sister, Mildred, are brothers. They had the following children: Margaret, Samuel W., Mary Francis, Valentine, Joshua H., Willard, Mildred, Elizabeth and Martha Jane.

Sarah was born in 1808. I do not know anything else about her.


Sources:
1809 Tax Digest for Jackson County, Georgia
1820-1830 Census in Gwinnett County, Georgia
1850 Census in Saline County, Arkansas

2 comments:

  1. Wilkes County, Georgia, Deed Book GG, Page 166, Reuben Bennett to Mark Snow, 225 acres on Kettle creek. Nov. 9, 1789. archidon@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I just saw that you said your email to me came back. Please try gravgreen@gmail.com. I am sorry this is over four years late.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete