Search & Win

Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Snow Family - Henry Snow

I know it has been quite a while since I have posted on my blog. I have been really busy planning for the new baby (a girl) who will be here in May while also helping out a good bit with my grandmother and working.

My Snow family lineage begins with Henry Snow, born around 1705 in Virginia and died around 1778 in Bedford County, Virginia. There are many conflicting sources and information out there on Henry, but with such a common name, I am not surprised. I do not yet claim Henry has absolute fact since I cannot really pinpoint who he actually was. I have this note in my files on Henry, "it is assumed that Henry Snow lived on the north side of the Stauntan River near what is now called Leasville, Virginia. Henry had served in the French and Indian war and for his service in 1765 he recieved a grant of land of 410 acres there." I do not know who sent this to me or where the information is from, but if anyone knows, please let me know!
According to what I have in my files, Henry's wife was named Mary. No one can seem to agree on her maiden name. They had four children: John, Thomas, Jane and Dorothy. Again, I have no documents on this information, but from looking at research done by others and comparing them together, this is what I feel is most accurate at this time. Of course, if anyone has documents to prove or disprove ANY of this, please let me know.
I do know one thing. John, son of Henry was NOT John "Trooper" Snow. John "Trooper" Snow was much older than John son of Henry, but so many researches want to make him Henry's son. I have a note in my file stating that John was named administer of his father's estate, but just which John out of the vast majority of John Snows in that area was this John? I have not proof of the two daughters, and have not actually seen a copy of the estate records for Henry Snow, perhaps they are listed there? I do not know. I would love to see a transcript or copy if anyone has one.
The second son of Henry and Mary is Thomas Snow. He would be my ancestor. Again, I have no proof of his parentage. Thomas married Winifred Jordan. Even though the vast majority of researchers say Winifred's maiden name was Jordan, none have offered proof of this, nor have I found any. I have a transcript of Thomas's will. It lists wife Winifred, daughters: Sally Adams and Mary Bennett, and sons: John, William, Thomas, Henry and Mark. I personally do not know anything on the personal lives of these people, just the facts. I really do feel as though Thomas Snow (who married Winifred) and Dorothy Snow are siblings, since Dorothy's husband was a witness to Thomas's will. I cannot prove the relationship (just like I cannot prove they are children of Henry and Mary), but it seems highly possible.
I will stop here for now and start on the children of Thomas and Winifred in my next post.

Sources:
Will of Thomas Snow Sr. (Transcript)

No comments:

Post a Comment