Search & Win

Thursday, September 8, 2011

The Hale Family – William Walker Hale

The Hale family has been an interesting and somewhat difficult family to research. When I initially began my search on the Hale family, all I knew was what my father had written on his Family Bible. He had written that his grandmother, my great-grandmother was named Inez Hale and her father's name was Pink. It wasn't until after I began corresponding with other descendants of Pink that I was able to find his full name: Amos Pinkney Hale. This post and the next few will endeavor to display the research that has been done on this family. I will start at the earliest known Hale ancestor: William Walker Hale.

William Walker Hale was born between 1795 and 1806 in Alabama or Georgia. His exact birth date and birth town are not known at this time. Sometime before 1833, he married Mary. Some researchers believe that her maiden name was Parmer, but they do not offer any documents that prove this. Mary was born between 1789 and 1795 in Alabama or Georgia. William and Mary were the parents of three daughters, Mahala Jane, Mary Rebecca Nancy, and Rachel Lurania Melvina. By 1850, the family was living in Randolph County, Alabama in the town of Lamar. Do to lack of records, I do not know exactly when William or Mary passed away. William died after the 1870 census, probably in Randolph County, Alabama. After her husband's death, Mary lived with her daughter, Melvina, who had moved to Georgia. Mary died after 1880, possibly in Carroll County, Georgia or Randolph County, Alabama.

William and Mary, as well as their daughters, are often recorded as 'MU' or mulatto on the census records. It is not known whether they were recorded as mulatto for an African background or for a Native American background. From early photographs I have seen, it seems more plausible for the family to have Native American ancestry, since they are not as dark skinned as Africans and their hair seems to suggest more Native American. One researcher believes that William was a free African who married a white woman and therefore the family is recorded as mulatto. She has not found the proof yet of his ancestry, and it is entirely possible that there is African and Native American ancestry in this family. I know with 100% accuracy that some of William's grandchildren have Native American fathers, I just don't know their names.

Our William Walker Hale should not be confused with William Martsen Hale who married Sally Sterling. Yes, William and Sally had daughters named Mahala, Nancy and Melvina, but it is so clear from census records that they are not the same family. William and Sally lived in Blount County, Alabama while our William and Mary lived in Randolph County, Alabama. William and Sally had many more children, whereas we only know of three children for William and Mary. Some researches have merged these two Williams, and I want to make clear they are NOT the same.

One interesting fact about the three daughters of William is that none of them ever married. Each daughter had children, with various men, but never married to any of them. I do not know the names of any of the children's fathers, but I do know that some of their fathers were Indians, but from which tribes I do not know. I will focus on each daughter in her own section.

Ancestry Page

Sources
Obituary of Amos Pinkney Hale
Census Records – 1850-1880 Randolph County, Alabama, 1880 Carroll County, Georgia.

12 comments:

  1. Mary J. Hale married Richard Thomas Thrower and had a 6 children of which one was a daughter named Pearl Thrower who was my grandmother. I have more information on this line if you want to contact me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello CTomblin! I would love to know more about Mary and her husband and children. The last bit of information I have on Mary is her recording in the 1880 census, before she married. I had not previously known about her husband or children. I have a picture of her (I was told it was her, perhaps you can verify it) I'm not sure if it is on the blog or not, but it is on my ancestry tree (titled Farmer Family Tree). I tried to find an email or contact through your profile, but I could not see anything. Would love to hear from you if you see this. (skywatcher3884@aol.com) Please make sure to put Hale Family in the subject so I know it is from you.
      JC

      Delete
    2. Hello! My great grandmother was Mary Hale. She married Richard Thomas Thrower. I haven't been able to find much on Richard. He is listed as Richard on the 1870 census with the last name of Throer and his birth year is listed as 1856. On the marriage record he is listed as Richard S. Thrower and on the 1900 census he is listed as Thomas Thrower. I have been unable to find any record of him past 1900. He was the son of Lewis Thrower and Martha Nail. Richard and Mary's children are William (Mack), Callie (Cal), Shelly (Shell), Calhoun T. (Hoon), Pearl, and Corbin Hubert (Huby) Thrower. The 1910 census shows Mary in Chambers Co. Alabama, widowed and living with her children and boarders.
      Pearl married my grandfather Edward Nolen Carden and had Otis who died at birth (1917), Franklin Reed who died at the age of 9 (1918-1927), James Edward (1921-2005), Lorene (1924-living) and Lewis, my father, (1927-living).
      My tree on Ancestry is Cynthia Carden Family Tree. I look forward to learning more about our families!
      Cynthia


      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can give you some information on the Racial makeup. There has always been a lot of family folklore regarding the mulattos and Indians. DNA tells you a lot. If you'd like to know more, contact me directly at albertavet@me.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judging by the dates on these posts I'm not sure if you are still doing this or not. Either way I am also a descendant of Amos Pinkney Hale. I would like to ask some more questions..please email me at halejosh@gmail.com so I can respond to you. Pink was my grandfather's grandfather but because of family arguments he never knew him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have seen this too, but from what I can tell it is not true. I have not seen any records or proof that shows that particular connection.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cheryl sagraves, Lucy Hale, andrew's Daughter is my great grandmother. I would love to compare notes when you have a chance. My email is jennbagleythedford@gmail.com. Anyone with information that still sees this blog, please feel free to email me! I have a great deal of info...and a great deal of questions!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello! I have discovered Mahala Jane Hale is my 3rd great grandmother and William Joseph is my 2nd great grandfather. Has there been any further information concerning their racial makeup? I too have discovered in census records they were titles as Mulatto. I did have my DNA done and have a small percentage of Nigerian and wondered if this is where the DNA is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My email for the comment above is hansoncarey@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete