Search & Win

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Hale Family – William Joseph Hale and His Children

William Joseph Hale is the oldest son of Mahala and oldest grandchild for William and Mary. He was born on January 19, 1850 in Randolph County, Alabama. On his death certificate, a father is recorded for him, but the name is not completely readable. It seems to read “La---d Hale.” There is never a father figure type person ever living with Mahala and her family in any census record. He lived his entire life in Randolph County, Alabama.
William married Zilpha Francis Dalrymple before 1879, most likely in Randolph County, Alabama. Zilpha was born on October 18, 1859 in Randolph County, Alabama. They became the parents of 11 children: Emily, Jackson Cicero, Alice, Arry Cathryn, Cornelia, Levada, Pink Malone, Nancy Rebecca, George Dewey, Joseph Leon and James Henry. He died on January 8, 1930 in Omaha, Randolph, Alabama. Zilpha died on February 24, 1949 in Randolph County, Alabama. Both are buried at East Bethel Baptist Church Cemetery in Randolph County, Alabama.

Ancestry Page
Find A Grave Page

Emily Hale was born in 1879 in Randolph County, Alabama. Nothing more is known about Emily at this time. (Further information found on March 25, 2013 -- I found the death certificate for Lou Ella Simpkins, that states her parents as W. J. Hale and Zilpha Dalrymple.  See further info on Emily Lou Ella here.)

Jackson Cicero Hale was born on June 14, 1882 in Randolph County, Alabama. He married Lizzie Ettie Daniels before 1903. He and Lizzie were the parents of 10 children: Loy D., Geneva V., Matthew Weldon, Eva Gladys, Howard, Lewis Denson, Irene, Otis Lee, Omie and Jackson Cicero Jr. Jackson moved his family from Randolph County to Troup County, Georgia some time before 1920. Jackson died on June 18, 1957 most likely in Troup County, Georgia. Lizzie died on January 29, 1986 probably in Troup County, Georgia. The couple is buried in Shadowlawn Cemetery in Lagrange, Georgia along with one son, Otis.

Alice Hale was born in February 1885 in Randolph County, Alabama. Nothing more is know about Alice.



Arrie Cathryn Hale was born on May 3, 1889 in Randolph County, Alabama. Arrie never married. She died on January 8, 1971 in Randolph County, Alabama. She is buried at Bethel East Cemetery in Randolph County, Alabama.



Cornelia Hale was born in March 1890 in Randolph County, Alabama. There is nothing more known about Cornelia.

Levada Hale was born in March 1893 in Randolph County, Alabama. She died on November 27, 1965 in Troup County, Georgia. It is unknown if she married or not.

Pink Malone Hale was born on March 18, 1896 in Randolph County, Alabama. He married Annie Eva Heard on October 29, 1922 in Troup County, Georgia. By 1930, Pink and his wife had moved back to Randolph County, Alabama and later moved again to Troup County, Georgia where Pink died on May 27, 1978. Annie died on July 12, 1989 in Georgia, most likely in Troup County. They were both buried in Shadowlawn Cemetery in LaGrange, Georgia. Pink and Annie had no children.

Nancy Rebecca Hale was born on November 1, 1898 in Randolph County, Alabama. She married Elmer J. Buchanan before 1930. Elmer was born in 1888 in Georgia. In 1930, she and her husband were living in Troup County, Georgia as boarders in the home of her brother, Jackson Cicero Hale. Nancy died on September 1, 1936 in Graham, Randolph County, Alabama. It is unknown whether Elmer and Nancy had any children.

George Dewey Hale was born on June 5, 1899 in Randolph County, Alabama. He married Jessie Heard after 1920. Jessie was born on November 12, 1910. George died on August 2, 1973 in LaGrange, Troup, Georgia. Jessie died on August 22, 1992. They are both buried in the Shadowlawn Cemetery in LaGrange, Troup, Georgia. It is unknown whether they had children.

Joseph Leon Hale was born in 1901 in Randolph County, Alabama. He married Eveline Cater after 1930. Eveline was born on January 28, 1908. Joseph died in 1973. Eveline died on July 20, 1988 in Troup County, Georgia. They are both buried in Shadowlawn Cemetery in LaGrange, Georgia.

James Henry Hale was born in 1905 in Randolph County, Alabama. Nothing more is know about James.

Sources
Census Records – 1850-1920 Randolph County, Alabama
Census Records - 1920-1930 Troup County, Georgia.
Photo of Grave Stones
Death Record – W. J. Hale, Nancy Rebecca Buchanan

11 comments:

  1. Hello! First off, thanks for all the hard work of putting this all together. I recently found an ancestor of mine named William J Hale that would have been my 3 great grandfather that was from Randolph County. I've been doing some research on Ancestry.com, and I'm a bit confused about what I've found. I can find William Joseph Hale, but he's married to a Lucinna (maybe Lucinda)born in May 1855 and they had a couple of children together, one of which was my 2 great grandfather William B. "Nick" Hale. The records show he was born in 1877 in Georgia to this couple.. I believe this was in the 1880 census. However, I look at the same guy, William Joseph Hale, in the 1900 or 1910 census and he's married to Zilpha. I found a marriage record for William and Lucinna for 1875, but if He and Zilpha were married before 1879 and Nick was born in Dec. 1877, then he would have had to left her real quick for Zilpha. Anyway, Nick is buried in DeKalb County Alabama at Mount Pleasant Cemetery with his wife Eva Smith, who's family was also from Randolph County. I just thought it was interesting that I found Zilpha and Lucinna's record with William J and nothing was mentioned about Lucinna, and thought you might know a little more about it. I figured even if this wasn't the same William J Hale as your ancestor that they were more than likely related somehow. I know that Nick was from Randolph County, because my grandfather told me about how his brother James G. Hale (I think) often went down there to visit family around Wedowee, Alabama. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only census record I do not have for William is the 1870 census. In every other census he is with his mother or Zilpha, except the 1900 which says Lucinna. The 1880, 1910 and 1920 all say Zilpha. Perhaps Lucinna was a nickname used for Zilpha? The 1900 census also states William was born in Oct. 1882. The same year his brother, Jackson Cicero was born. Do you see William in the 1880 census? If he was born in 1877 he should be there. What surname does the marriage record give for Lucinna? I cannot find it. I never listed William in my files because I never found anything else on him and assumed (I know you shouldn't do that) that Jackson was recorded incorrectly. (Besides a lot of the Hales had multiple names and used nicknames that did not even relate to their real names.) This family is very confusing. I will definitely look into William B. Hale some more and add his info to this page so he isn't left out if he truly belongs here. I do have a good bit of research on William that I do not have posted because I was not sure where he belonged. The records do not seem to indicate any particular birth year, though If he cannot be found in 1880, then he was probably born after 1880.

      1880: Do not see him??
      1900: Oct. 1882
      1910: 1883
      1920: 1880
      1930: 1879
      1940: 1872
      WWI Registration: 1873
      Death Record: 1878
      Cemetery Transcript: 1887

      Do you have other records than what I have above? I am going to try and put all of William's stuff together today and see what I can determine. It definitely seems that William B. should belong with this family. The fact he is listed in 1900 with William J. and the other children listed match what I have.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your help! I live very close to the cemetery where William B and his wife and children were buried. Here's a link to the cemetery record: http://www.interment.net/data/us/al/dekalb/mtpleasant/index.htm
      I know what you mean about the name thing with this family. We've found several different names for his wife, which in the cemetery record is listed as Enie. We've concluded that her name was actually Eva, and that her nickname was Evie from what my grandfather tells me. He had 13 or 14 children, one of which was also named William. We have also seen several records which show his birthdate to be in Oct. 1883 or 1884. His tomb stone says 1877, but it's possible that nobody would have known that or got it confused somehow. I'll be on the lookout for any more information or records and keep you updated.
      Also, on a different note, I live very close to Georgia Hale Hammond's (Mahala's daughter) grave which would have been William's Aunt. She's buried at Lakeview in Highway Church Cemetery. I suppose she and William B. may have known each other since they lived within 10 miles of each other. According to my grandfather William owned a farm which is still called the Nick Hale Farm. His children settled in Section, Alabama where only two of his children are still alive, Ethel and Jean. This is about my extent of knowledge of this branch of the Hales. I was raised by my grandfather James T. Hale who kept in touch with his cousins, aunts, and uncles. We've found a good bit of records and information on all of them, and if you ever want it I'd be happy to share it with you.

      Delete
    3. Okay, after a little reorganizing my information I found that William B. had a son that was named William Walker Hale. He was the one that visited family in Randolph County, although it may have been Eva's family that he visited. It's always possible that they may not be of this branch of Hale's, but there's a lot of information that suggests a match!

      Delete
    4. William Walker Hale was also the name of William Joseph's grandfather. :) I'm pretty sure now that he should belong here. I'm going to contact another relative to see what she has on this branch and then go from there. I would love to know more about William B. Hale's descendants. My email is linked in my profile. Thanks! Also, if you want to see my complete file, I can invite you to my ancestry tree as well if you are not already a member there.

      Delete
    5. Alright! That sounds great! A friend of mine is actually using his account to assemble my family tree, so it would be great to see all the research you've done, and see our branch as well. About Lucinna and the other stuff regarding that, we could not find a maiden name on her. She just appears in the 1900 census. We pretty much have the same information you do about her, but I'm sure with a little digging that can be solved. I'm also a little stuck on Eva's parents, but I know their name was Smith and they were from Randolph Co. So I sure do appreciate all the help! :D

      Delete
  2. Also, I found Georgia Ann Hammond's grave this evening. I'll go back and take a picture for you if you'd like!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard back from my cousin yet, but I have just received some information that makes me so confused!

      I have been talking to a relative of Emily Hale (oldest child of William and Zilpha) and he says that William is listed as William Jackson in family records. This is confusing because I have Jackson Cicero as their child, born around the same time as William Jackson would have been. After hearing this, I've been trying to find more records to see who belongs and who does not. It seems that William Benjamin and Jackson Cicero are related, if not brothers, since their children seem to have similar names and William Benjamin named a son Cicero (middle name I believe). I am now do confused it isn't even funny. All three cannot be sons.

      I'm gonna see what I can figure out, and if you have any records that specifically state any of these three as sons of W. J. and Zilpha, please let me know!

      JC

      Delete
    2. Ok, so the new cousin I found has William's full name as William Jackson Cicero Hale. He sent a family photo as well of all the children, and there is only one son born around that time in the family. I am sure your William is related somehow, though and just do not know how. There are so many Hale women who had children and their children kept the Hale name even if their father's had different names. (Which apparently is very common among some Indian families). I tell you, this is one of my more difficult families to research. If I do figure out exactly where William Benjamin goes, I will definitely tell you!

      Delete
    3. Finally heard from my cousin. She referred the question to another cousin who sent this response to me.

      "William Benjamin "Nick" Hale is the one who is almost certainly the son of Josie Hale (daughter of Rachel Melvina and sister to your Amos.) Josie had a son "Robert" age 17 in the 1900 census. He can never be found afterwards but this is when the William Benjamin/Nick man starts showing up smack dab in the middle of all of our known Hales. His age is frequently off by ten years, and I have no explanation for that. In the 1920 census he is enumerated one page away from Josie in Albertville. I believe I got his death certificate, and I don't recall it being helpful in regard to his parents.

      Debra Taube said that the family story that her mom heard is that Josie had a son Nick. Josie was made pregnant by a man she worked for while taking care of his sick wife. At some point he threatened to take the son from Josie and that's why she went to Albertville where her sister was. If you analyze the story, though, the reason and the timing of the move wouldn't fit. Both Josie and Nick are in the 1920 census in Albertville; Nick is a grown man with his own family by then. Nick was in Albertville in 1918 (WW1 draft registration.)

      Jackson Cicero Hale is most definitely the son of William Joseph Hale and Zilpha Dalrymple. It is proven by the 1920 census. He has to be the one listed as William in the 1900 census. And I did not find him as Jackson Cicero Hale in the 1900 census anywhere else."

      This means we are much closer cousins than we thought. Josie and my ancestor, Amos were brother and sister. Still part of the same family.. :)

      Also, if you are interested, I have a scanned copy of William's death certificate and an offer for you to take a DNA test (for a discounted price) if you want, but in order to get those, I need your email address so I can get you into contact with my cousin. I can email the death certificate so it will be big enough to read. You can email me first from my profile. There should be a link there to my email.

      Delete
    4. Thank you so very much!! This is all very interesting and fun to learn! I apologize that it's took me so long to respond, but in the mean time I have found a few things out myself. According to my mother, her grandmother once told her that Nick's father's name was Wilkerson. That's the only information that I know at this point, but it at least gives me a lead. Since Josie and Amos were siblings, that would make us 5th cousins I believe :D
      I would definitely be interested in the death certificate. I will email you about it very soon! Thanks so very much for all the help!

      Delete