Search & Win

Monday, September 12, 2011

The Hale Family – Mahala Jane Hale

Mahala Jane Hale was born in 1833 in Alabama or Georgia. The Hale family did not seem to care about reporting correct ages on the census records. The census records suggest a birth range of 1820-1835, though the 1870 census is the only record to place her birth date so early. In 1850 and 1860 Mahala stayed with her parents with her young children. It wasn't until around 1870 that she moved into her own home. She became the mother of 8 children: William Joseph, Sarah Nancy Elizabeth Jane, Andrew Jackson, John Aron, Mary J., Frances Rebecca, Georgia Ann and Lue E.
In 1880, Mahala had moved her family to Coweta County, Georgia. I have not been able to locate Mahala on the 1900 census record. Where was she? By 1910, Mahala had moved in with her son, John, who had moved back to Randolph County, Alabama. Mahala Hale died on November 11, 1913 in an unknown location, possibly Randolph County, Alabama. A cousin sent me a photo of her grave marker, but never told me which cemetery it was located in.

Ancestry Page

Sources
Census Records – 1850-1880 Randolph County, Alabama, 1880 Carroll County, Georgia.
Photo of Grave Stone

9 comments:

  1. Hi! Thanks so much for sharing ll this wonderful info! I too am researching the family history, I am so curious about Mahala. She would be my 3rd great grandmother and I am so intrigued by her story! Who was the father of all these children, who is my 3rd great grandfather? Lol I guess only time will tell...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I am also looking for information on Mahala. She is my Great Grandmother, LUCY HALE BOWEN'S grandmother. I know Mahala is buried in the Cemetery at Prospect United Methodist church in Woodland, Alabama. I cannot find a husband for her, but on all the censuses I've seen, she's listed as a widow and HOH. Any info would be appreciated!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Find A Grave: https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=hale&GSfn=mahala&GSbyrel=all&GSdyrel=in&GSst=3&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=79978887&df=all&

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for this information. Mahala was my GGGGMother. Georgia Ann was my GGGMother the wife of Elijah Hammond. Elijah and Georgia Ann are buried at Highway Church of God Cemetery, Lakeview Alabama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hanley! I am also kin through Georgia Ann-Georgia Brillie-RC. Have you done any digging into our Creek lineage?

      Delete
  6. I'm so happy I found this! I trace down via Mohala, Georgia Ann, Brillie, RC. I have been told my whole life that I have native ancestry, but can't find any proof at all. Have any of you been successful? I have searched the Dawes Roll using several different names, but no dice. By tye way,hello distant family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also related to Mahala Hale. My great grandmother was Hattie Hale.I did 23 and me and ancestry DNA kits and found out I was related to the Creek Chief Far Off who was married to Hannah Hale. I'd love to connect and compare notes if you'd like!
      Mandi :)

      Delete
  7. I am Mahalas great great granddaughter. My grandfather was Milton Hammond. Son of Georgia Ann Hale. My Mother was Lois Hammond daughter of Milton Hammond.

    ReplyDelete