Search & Win

Friday, December 18, 2015

Ramblings: John Flemming Justice born 1829


John Flemming Justice was born in 1829 and supposed died in Maryland in the Civil War in 1864. There was a J. F. Justice who fought and died, but what he this John? Why would he be fighting in the North and South Carolina armies when he is from Kentucky? (though after typing this, apparently Greenville Justice did the same?) Also, there is a Flemming on the census records in Boyd County (1870 and 1880) who matches this Flemming in age and there is a marriage record to back it up. I do not show another Justice family with a Flemming born around that time. The Flemming listed in 1860 seems to have had a wife prior to his wife on that census and it matches perfectly if Fleming married both to Lucinda Blackburn, then she died after having a daughter and then he married Mary in 1856 to have the rest of the children.

Maybe there are two Flemmings born around 1830, one who married Lucinda and died in the civil war and one who married Mary and had the family in Boyd county. If there are 2 Flemmings then why can't I find them both in 1850 and 1860? I have one record in each year, and the one for 1860 seems to show that Flemming had a first wife which would support the two Flemmings being one.

If anyone has any data to show more information on John Flemming Justice, please let me know! At the moment, I feel that there was only one John Flemming and that the J. F. from the civil war was another person. I have not read the civil war documents as I do not have access to them to review them myself, so if anyone has, please tell me what they actually say! The indexes I see only list him as J. F., so those two letters could stand for many different things.

No comments:

Post a Comment