Search & Win

Monday, December 14, 2015

Lucinda Justice Hall

I think I am about ready to pull my hair out with this family.  I am trying to figure out which Lucinda be longs with what family and I am a bit perplexed by this Lucinda.

Lucinda Justice Hall, by all accounts of all family trees I have seen has her as the daughter of Jonathan Justice and Hannah Doty. This seems odd to me since Lucinda's family is living in close proximity to John and Edmund, both sons of John and Elizabeth Young.  I though she belonged with them since she is living near two other children of John and Elizabeth as well as the fact that she, being born in Kentucky, moved back with them, around the same time, to Virginia.  While I currently have no Lucinda Justice attached to John and Elizabeth, they did have an unaccounted for daughter who would have been born between 1810-1820.

Then, I began to do a little searching on Edmund and found that his second wife was a Polly Ann Hall, daughter of a William Hall and Lucy.  Most people assume that the Lucinda here is a Justice and that Polly is her daughter.  Edmund also has a son named Joshua who married a Rachel Hall, also a daughter of William and Lucy.  Again, she is assumed to be Lucinda Justice's daughter.  If this is true, then if Lucinda were John and Elizabeth's then that would mean Edmund married his niece and Joshua his first cousin.  The first cousin one I have no problem with but it was very uncommon to marry a niece.  So, this would make since for Lucinda to be Jonathan and Hannah's daughter.  

So, then I began to look into Lucinda more and found that there was no Polly/Mary Ann Hall or Rachel Hall living with William and Lucinda in 1850.  One would think an 18 year old and a 14 year old girl would still be living with their parents in 1850 if they did not marry until after that census.  I could not locate another William or Lucinda in that area who had a Polly and a Rachel.  

So, I expanded my search and I found something quite interesting.  There are TWO Lucinda Justices who married a Hall.  In Letcher County, Kentucky, just a few counties away, I found a Lucinda Hall, widowed, with her children and guess what?!  She had daughters Polly Ann age 18 and a Rachel age 11.  Pretty darn close if you ask me!

Now, the only thing that doesn't really work is that this particular Lucinda married a Jonathan Hall.  Her son, Jonathan, is listed as a Jr. in his marriage record.  I also have the following that identifies her husband as a Jonathan:
Book: 13th KentuckyCavalry, C.S.A. : Caudill's Army
By Ben Caudill CampNo. 1629
Hall, Jonathan J.: (3/13/1833-6/12/1916), Co. A, serv. prev.5th KY Inf., Co. F. pension states he serv. 5th KY Inf., Co. F. and 13th KYCav., Co. A. that he was disc. in Lecter Co. 1864 & was paroled on6/3/1865, res. Letcter Co. 1860, b. Floyd Co., s. of Jonathan & Lucinda(Justice) Hall, rec. KT Confed. Pension #675 & #3650 Knott Co. 1912, deaconin Mallett Fork Old Regular Baptist Church, m. Mary "Polly" Cook(1834-1920) 1850, d. Pinetop, bur. Watts-Cook Cem., Pinetop, Knott Co., KY.
Now, this Lucinda, who married Jonathan, is living a few doors away from Allison Justice, who is a son of Jonathan Justice and Hannah Doty.  If Lucinda who married Jonathan Hall is a daughter of Jonathan and Hannah instead of the other Lucinda, then there would be no issues if Edmund married Polly Ann since she would not be his niece.  

So, with everything said, is it possible that Lucinda who married William Hall is a daughter of John and Elizabeth Young and that Lucinda who married Jonathan Hall is the daughter of Jonathan and Hannah Doty?  Is there some record I am missing?

Sources
1850 Census:  Letcher County, Kentucky; Russell County, Viginia
Marriage Record of Edmund I Justice and Polly Ann Hall
Book: 13th Kentucky Cavalry, C.S.A. : Caudill's Army By Ben Caudill Camp No. 1629
Research of Thomas Harold Justice

No comments:

Post a Comment