Search & Win

Monday, October 17, 2011

George Farmer

Well, I am feeling pretty good this morning. Perhaps it is true that things start to get better when you get close to the second trimester. I am going to try to get this new post up before I do start feeling bad.

George Farmer was born sometime around 1760 in Virginia, probably Chesterfield County. I do not have any proof as to George's father, but have seen references that his father's name was Elam Farmer. There were many Elam Farmers in Virginia who could be George's father, and so far I have not been able to pin point exactly which, or even if his father's name actually was Elam.
My records show that George married Nancy Hardin on May 15, 1794 in Lunenburg County, Virginia. There have been disputes as to the maiden name of George's wife, or if he in fact married two different Nancys, but according to he research I have done, I am most positive that Nancy Hardin was the wife, and only wife of George. Some researches believe that George Farmer married Nancy Bolling in Oglethorpe County, Georgia on April 17, 1798. If you look at the original records and not the transcripts, you will see that the George who married Nancy Bolling was a Farrar, not a Farmer. One can see how the names can be easily confused. Our George Farmer did move to Oglethorpe County, hence the confusion in his wife's name and the assumption that some researches make in stating that Nancy Hardin died and he then married Nancy Bolling.
George and his family were in Oglethorpe County, Georgia by 1800 where George is recorded in the Tax records and on the census with his wife, one son and two daughters in the household. George probably died in 1810, since he is recorded in the Tax lists but not recorded on the census.
George and Nancy had, according to the 1800 census, 3 children, and since Nancy is listed as 45+, it would seem unlikely that they would have many children after that census. In my records, I have children born up to 1809. Perhaps their was a mistake on the census or some of the children are actually grandchildren and their father is not known. I do not know for sure without looking for more records on the family. I have the following list of children of George and Nancy: Henry, Thomas, Elizabeth, Martha, William, Theodosia, George W., and Robert Hardin. Elizabeth and Martha were the daughters recorded in 1800 and Henry was most likely the son. In 1820, Henry is recorded in the Oglethorpe County census with a male and female between the ages of 10 and 15. They are most likely siblings of his, since they are too old to be his children. That would be there would be at least 5 children. Theodosia is probably the girl and either Robert or George the boy.
I would love to see more records on this family, as William would be my ancestor. I have proven my line up to William, but have not been able to find that record or link that truly connects William to his father, George. I feel very strongly that William is connected to this family. He has named a son Robert Hardin, and another son, my gg-grandfather, has the middle name of George. When I have more time, I will try to write a post on William, but for now, I must stop typing and get ready for work.

I have not added George to my ancestry tree since he is not proven yet to be my William's father, and he is not located on Find-A-Grave.com.

Sources:
Census Records: 1800, 1820 Oglethorpe County, Georgia
Tax Records: 1800, 1805, 1810 Oglethorpe County, Georgia
Marriage Records: George Farrar and Nancy Bolling

2 comments:

  1. George Farmer did indeed live in Oglethorpe County, Georgia. He's a witness to a deed in 1808, and another one in 1810. In 1813, Daniel DuPree went to court to file papers on the behalf of George's orphans. The deed lists George Farmer, his father, Elam Farmer of Virginia, and some property left to the children by Elam. Several records on into the mid 1800s are transcribed as "Farrar," "Farrer", and many other interesting variations, but if you keep track of land records, ages, names of children, it's the Farmer family. Nice to meet a possible cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have copies of the deeds, or transcripts? I would love to see them if possible. I would love to talk to you about our family. You can email me at skywatcher3884@aol.com. Just put Farmer Family in the subject line.

      Delete